Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The Album Thing: Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky

The album thing: One of your friends tags you on Facebook, and then you’re supposed to post pictures of albums you especially love, or that were personally significant, or whatever. I’m sharing these on my blog, too, because why not?

Today, it’s the Symphony of Psalms that changed my world. Everything about it. I’ve never been so lucky and blessed. Doors swung open for me, and I don’t think I even had to knock. The light shined down from above.

Movement 1: Turn the sound up!

Then hear the second movement.

In the third movement, Stravinsky turns the Alleluia/Laudate (usually the text for clanging cymbals and blaring brass) into a sense of hushed awe; then he lets us have it; then he brings it back around to breathless awe.

No comments: