Friday, May 1, 2020

The Album Thing: Horse, God’s Home Movie

Okay, y’all here’s today’s album! (If you don’t know what I’m doing, look at some of the previous posts.) God’s Home Movie has a special place in my heart because Sue and I bought it together, soon after we started dating, and it’s got a song on it that we would’ve played at our wedding, if we’d had a wedding with music in it.

And yeah, I’m a huge fan of Horse McDonald. What an amazing performer.

The title track is the one we especially love. We would’ve played this song at our wedding.

Another song from this album, “Imitation,” has an odd juxtaposition of a bouncy upbeat feel with lyrics about being dumped. When Sue and I met, we were both rebounding from some awful relationships. When you’re starting to feel good again, you can shake your head and kind of laugh. Lyrics: “Another innocent in your trail of destruction / left behind like a tree hit by lightning / all my senses you worked so hard at persuading / they don’t know what’s real and the great imitation / I was so sadly mistaken”!

Okay, a bonus song from Horse’s first CD; this video’s from some kind of German TV broadcast. I thought it was pretty fun. Americans have called her “the Scottish k.d. lang.” It’s not a perfect description at all, but the time was about the same, and the androgynous look was similar, and they both have great voices.

No comments: