Sunday, May 3, 2020

The Album Thing: Patricia Barber, Live: A Fortnight in France

I’m sharing some of my favorite albums. If you haven’t been following along, here’s the deal: One of your friends tags you on Facebook, and then you’re supposed to post pictures of albums you especially love, or that were personally significant, or whatever. I’m sharing these on my blog, too, because why not?

Today’s album? I had a hard time picking out just one by Patricia Barber. I selected this live one because she’s blown us away so many times in concert. If you’ve been following along with me so far, we’re really pivoting here away from vocal music into instrumental. PB is (in my opinion) a better pianist than she is a singer—though her minimalist singing style is perfect for her music. As before, I’m putting samples in the comments below.

Her version of “Norwegian Wood” is amazing. I’m sure you will love it!

This piece, “Crash,” sounds a lot like her earlier work with her combo. Brilliant piano work, rhythmic and harmonic textures. She has certainly done her homework, plus put in her time every week at Chicago’s venerable Green Mill Cocktail Lounge.

If you’ve never heard of Patricia Barber, “Call Me” is a good sample of her playing in an easy pop-ballad style.

And a tasty, straight-ahead swinging version of the classic “Witchcraft”!

No comments: