Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Thanksgiving: Laura Ward

As it gets nearer to Thanksgiving, I’ve been writing posts of gratitude. Who are we thanking today?

Thank You, Laura Ward

Friend Laura,

This is such a pittance of the thanks you deserve for the steady work and effort you put into our community. I was about to write “neighborhood” or “district,” but community really is your focus, and this place is better for all you do. I’d say you are tireless, but I know you are not. It must be exhausting.

Yet you are usually quite upbeat. At the risk of making you sound like a unicorns-and-rainbows whacko, I contend that you do kind of leave a glitter trail of uplifted spirits everywhere you go.

Let me count the ways. You contribute in the best ways (that is, with your service and care) to the Old Munichburg Association (including heading up Southside Pride Award and the Oktoberfest Kids’ Corner), to the Historic City of Jefferson and its Golden Hammer Award, to Building Community Bridges, to the Southside Neighborhood Watch, and I’m sure a lot more that I don’t know about.

Also, for years, you’ve been an excellent City Council representative for our ward. It’s great to know that we’re represented by someone who truly cares about the destiny of these antique houses as well as the mostly un-wealthy and socially diverse people who live in them.

You even took the time to arrange for an official award for one of our other neighbors, who decorates his front yard with all kinds of beautiful flowers and plants, turning it into an eye-catching, happy scene for passersby, even though his home (rented from a less-than-stellar landlord) is in terrible shape. That award, the gathering, the attention, brought some well-deserved recognition to that man for his hard work and care.

. . . Kind of how you deserve an award.

I wish I could be like you. I wish there were more people like you.

I’m glad you’re our neighbor.

Blessings to you.

Thank you.

No comments: