Thursday, February 10, 2011

Well, Here We Go

Just a brief update this morning--you know how I said the ER people had said, "simple fracture, probably no surgery will be required"? Well, I had my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon yesterday, and he said, "A cast won't immobilize it enough for it to heal properly."

(He also complimented me on setting my own fracture--he said I got everything pretty much lined up correctly. I wasn't aware that's what I was doing at the time--I just couldn't bear to look at my foot being bent at such an unnatural angle . . .)

So, though I wasn't expecting it, all of a sudden I'm having surgery--today--this morning--in about three hours.

They're going to put a plate in it. If you want to see what I think they're going to do, search on YouTube under "fibula fracture," and you'll find a smooth, clean, tidy animated medical video.

So, let's see . . . by midday, I'll be done with surgery and feeling fuzzy and hopefully-not-too-terribly queasy from the anaesthesia, and my ankle will undoubtedly be going, "boom-boom-boom," with little invisible lightning bolts and stars flying out of it. Let's hope the pain medication does its job.

Will I have to spend the night in the hospital? They don't know. I guess it's a wait-and-see thing.

So, as I'm writing this, I'm propped up in bed, warm and comfy, with very little pain, anywhere. I really, really don't want to get out of bed today.

Yes--the only reason I'm looking forward to today is technically, because it's in the future.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

whalechaser said...

Good Luck!
And I hope your friends and family can give you lots of TLC through this ordeal!
Sending healing prayers your way.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just came across your blog and about 9 days ahead of you, just got my cast yesterday. I hope the surgery goes well for you and take the pain meds as prescribed! Feel free to email me,agolder1@gmail.com

Amy

Julianna Schroeder said...

Ellen, Amy, thank you for your kind wishes. As you can probably now see from my more recent posts, I came through it okay! (The Opulent Opossum on Facebook includes more chitchat on the subject, if you're interested.) Today, I just now learned for sure that they did use STAPLES to close the incision! So now I'm picturing them using a "staple remover" when they take 'em out! ...Which really seems a long time from now...

Julianna Schroeder said...

By the way, Amy, I guess you found my blog by searching on "fibula fracture" or some such? If so, that's funny, because I've been looking online for Xrays and other creepy pictures, trying to edu-ma-cate myself more. Though at this point, I'm just grossing myself out. But what else am I s'posed to do? Sure can't go out and work in the garden yet....