Sunday, March 7, 2010

Op Op Anniversary

I just realized that the Op Op is a year old now! So, what do you think? Are we having fun yet? To celebrate, I made us a sweet potato pie. I wish I could give a piece to every one of you. Thank you for reading, commenting, and helping to make this so much fun. We didn’t have any birthday candles around, so I used a fru-fru mixed-drink umbrella instead. What the heck! Here’s the recipe, which I acquired many years ago from an old flame, who adored “weird pies.” It might originally have come from a copyrighted source, because I can’t remember where she got it from. If it is from a cookbook somewhere, then whoever wrote it needs to adjust the cooking time and temperature as I have, so the crust doesn’t turn into mush on the bottom. Sweet Potato Pie 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes 3 eggs (well-beaten) 1/2 cup sugar (white) 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/2 stick butter 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/2 tsp. nutmeg 1 small can evaporated milk Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mash butter with potato and add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, milk, and eggs. Fill pastry shell and cook in 400-degree oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and cook for approximately 25 minutes more. Check on it to make sure the crust isn’t getting too brown; cover the crust with foil if necessary. Pie is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments: