Friday, December 24, 2010

Silent Night



Good evening! And Merry Christmas. I was wanting to tell you something really profound this evening, about time and wintertime, hope and peace and love, but after an evening of chopping veggies and preparing for tomorrow's feast--and after enjoying some eggnog and stollen . . . the spell has come over me.

We woke up to snow this morning! We are having a white Christmas. Fortunately, the roads aren't bad, either!




This is how I like Christmas trees the best: at night, when they enrapture me with their radiant, warm light. As I write this, the Weihnachtspyramide glows, just like it always has, and a part of me glows along with it.

I would tell you more, but it's time for us all to get to sleep: "You know, Santa won't come if you're still awake!"

So I leave you with this scene. A quiet room, the glowing tree, the cats curled up.

All is calm, all is bright.





* * * * Merry Christmas, everyone. * * * *




(Psst: If you're unfamiliar with our "weird" Christmas tree, see this post from last year.)

2 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I envyed that tree when I saw it in the News Tribune, I envyed it last year on your blog and dog gone it I still envy it this year.
It is just AWESOME!!! You are so luck to have it. It is priceless!

Merry Christmas.
Patti

Julianna Schroeder said...

Thank you--I know that we are lucky. I learned recently that originally my great-grandpa made a similar Christmas pyramid for each of his daughters--but this is the only one that survives. The reason is that this one was modified over the years with electric lights and a music box spinner. It became a German American Weihnachtspyramide, not a German one. The others must have ended up in attics and then landfills, because they probably remained candle-powered. Another case of "to survive, you have to change with the times."