Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Celebrate German Heritage Recipe #5.1: Grandma Renner’s German Potato Salad

Here is the German potato salad recipe from my maternal grandmother, as copied from a recipe in my mom’s collection. I’ve kept my editing to a minimum.

It’s a very simple and incredibly, um, “rich” version of GPS; it makes a lot of dressing, and the dish really needs to be served hot. I have to admit that even though it’s not my favorite way of making GPS (seriously, please add some veggies to it, if you make it)—when I smelled it cooking this last week, it really took me back in time. Grandma Renner’s kitchen.

This is real.

Enjoy.




Mrs. John Renner’s German Potato Salad

4 slices bacon, diced
3/4 c. vinegar
3/4 c. flour
1 1/4 c. water
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. water
onions, chopped
5 or 6 medium potatoes, cooked and cut up

Fry bacon to golden brown; add vinegar. Make into a paste [the] flour and 1 1/4 c. water and add to boiling mixture. Add sugar, salt, and 1 cup water, and boil 5 mins. Sprinkle potatoes liberally with onions. Pour out dressing over them and let stand for flavor to penetrate.

No comments: